Wednesday, April 17, 2013

THIS BAY MIGHT AS WELL BE MICHAEL





 There it is again. The most dreaded words that a horror fan can find themselves exposed to. "From the producers of Paranormal Activity and Insidious."


If you are in fact a fan of real horror this will disturb you more than anything. If you are a fan of what I like to shopping mall horror, well.... actually, this film might disturb you as well. It's not shopping mall horror.




Had this film not been helmed by Barry Levinson, and had I not been so damn curious what a horror film made by director Barry Levinson would play out like, I would have barely lasted five minutes here. The bottom line is that had this movie been done right I would have enjoyed it. It has a really cool idea behind it and I happen to be rather fond of those "the whole town is doomed and we're all gonna die!" movies. There is just not enough of those being made today.




Saddest of all is that when they are made, like this one, they rarely get it right. There are so many levels to this film and since this is a mini-review, and even more because I don't care, I am not going to discuss any of them. It has both brains and heart, but none of its parts seem to be in the right place. Instead of what could have been an entertaining and thought provoking thrill ride we are left with a rich mans Blair Witch Project.




The worst part is that I am not even sure where all the "found footage" from this found footage genre monkey turd is supposed to come from. But, it's there and after sitting through roughly 80 minutes of it I felt like I had just watched the worlds longest running trailer. Not quite as worthless as Blair Witch, it still might be worthwhile for some viewers to marvel at what could have been if the damn thing had been done right. Though what do you expect from the producers of Paranormal Activity and Insidious?




No comments:

Post a Comment