Saturday, May 11, 2013

Sister, sister, oh so fair...

.....why is there blood all over your hair?
When I was growing up I watched many horror movies with my mom. She liked anything that was freaky or gory or about crazy people. Now a movie about crazy people may not be considered by some to be a horror movie, but to me it definitely is horrific. The movie Whatever Happened to Baby Jane (1962) is one of those that fall into a horror category in my eyes. It is actually in the Classic Thriller genre so whatever it may be, just know that no one should live his or her life without seeing this movie, in my opinion. They just don’t make movies like this anymore…this is a true example of that theory.

This movie is based on the downward spiral that can happen when jealousy, alcohol and general insanity takes control. It is about two sisters one named Jane/Baby Jane (Bette Davis) who is a successful child entertainer

and her sister Blanche (Joan Crawford) who as they both progress in years grows into a more beautiful and successful actress
with Jane being unattractive and washed up and addicted to alcohol.

The movie begins showing them in childhood and displaying how much of a spoiled brat Jane is but still a popular entertainer with a trendy doll that was made into her likeness and is a real crowd pleaser.  Ewwww!
There is a car ‘incident’ with the two sisters, and Blanche is crippled and helpless. I will not give away the details of what happened, as this is the main basis of the film and the events that transpire from it, and remains a mystery until the end.

The ladies are living in a large house together in their older years, and Jane is Blanche's main caregiver. Blanche is confined pretty much to a wheelchair in her room on the second floor.

With Blanche having a more successful acting career than Jane as they grew up, Jane drowns herself in gin and stuff and spirals into complete insanity as we all get to watch.

She cannot accept that Blanche had become more successful than her and she continues to become more bitter with each passing day.

As Jane continues down the path to malevolent insanity she starts doing gruesome and spiteful things to Blanche and it continues to get worse. She is responsible for the care of Blanches bird, and also responsible for preparing all of her meals…UGH this just looks too real...hmmm?

there are also rats in the cellar as she claims to Blanche in one scene. You can pretty much guess what may happen at the next meal served after that. The torture of Blanche continues to worsen and is gut wrenching.

Jane is falling back into her childhood and looks absolutely ghastly in her replicas of her girlie dresses she has made and her grisly makeup as she Pirouettes around.

Bette Davis plays this unpleasant part as one of the best I’ve seen by anyone in a movie…I mean triple wow. The physiological nature of it is really over the top, but she really makes you believe it.

And the Housekeeper played by Maidie Norman was absolutely brilliant.


An insecure English musician played by Victor Buono that Baby Jane befriends and attempts a business venture for her big comeback, plays an important part in the film and also does the job really well.

The last scene takes place on a beach and is really remarkable. 


This movie is definitely horrifying in my eyes. The fact that Baby Jane has complete control over Blanche

and her cries for help are completely in vain throughout the movie makes one pretty uneasy.

Blanche: "You wouldn't be able to do these awful things to me if I wasn't in this chair."
Jane:
"But ya ARE Blanche, ya ARE in that chair!"
 Please young or old, if you haven’t seen this movie….do it…asap! 

Signed,
Filthy Regan 

Original Post  

4 comments:

  1. Olla

    I loved "What Ever Happened to Baby Jane" Betty Davis was so good in that part.. in my opinion she was more actress than the screen could ever hold.. it is a must see….

    July 26, 2010

    DeadByDawn

    So very true…thanks for the comment.

    July 26, 2010

    BungleGrind

    i saw this movie on tv when i was a kid.i remember it being very good, but that was a long time ago.i need to watch it again.great blog baby.

    July 26, 2010

    DeadByDawn

    Thank you babe- Yeah you should definitely watch it again…you will enjoy it more as an adult than as you did as a child. At least, I know I did.

    July 26, 2010

    Realist91919

    I’m not much into horror stuff but this sounds good – I will check it out on your recommendation. I know wifey will like it – she loves Bette Davis.

    July 26, 2010

    DeadByDawn

    I’m sure you and your wife will enjoy it. It’s not really considered by the masses as a horror film; it’s more a psychological thriller. Any Bette Davis fan would be pretty surprised with this role because it’s not the type she usually would do. I’d be interested to hear what you and wifey think after seeing it.

    July 26, 2010

    DeadByDawn

    You’re welcome, and thank you for all of the positive feedback about our blogs! This movie is definitely worth a second viewing.

    July 28, 2010

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, NOW I can finally say that I have truly seen this and it was every bit as awesome as this blog made it sound. Bette Davis is a fucking nut! I am left to wonder who would have kicked who's ass in a cage match between her, Joan Crawford and Judy Garland. I don't know, I'm still kind of thinking Judy Garland is the psycho bitch of all time. I mean, as I see it, genuine psycho appeal should run in the family. Crawford scarred her daughter for life, no doubt. But she has tried to live a normal life. I don't even know anything about Bette Davis' brood. Did she even have kids? If so, apparently they slinked off into obscurity. Ah yes, but true psycho appeal really does run in the family. Winner and true champion psycho of all time? Judy Judy Judy. Her title can be summed up in one word alone. Liza.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Manitouuuuuu!!! aaaah a cage match between Bette Davis, Joan Crawford and Judy Garland!!! That would be a bloody mess...and so awesome! I am gonna have to Google if Bette had any kids. So curious now!
      With Vile Love,
      Filthy Regan

      Delete
  3. I love that movie too! Now, I will have to rent it and watch again!! Thank you for the awesome commentary on this movie.

    ReplyDelete