Saturday, May 11, 2013

READ ANSWERS OF SILENCE BY GEOFF COOPER




Rather than claim my allegiance to any particular genre It would be better worded to say that what I love reading most are authors who have their own vibe going on. You know the kind I mean. The ones whose names alone never let you in on what you're gonna get and yet the results are always going to be high quality. I also happen to love a great anthology and this could very well be one of the best I have ever read. In doing reviews for anthologies I believe that picking best stories is a pointless exercise because everybody has their own opinion and favorites.

As for me, here, I couldn't read this book fast enough and I thought every single story in it was rock solid and entertaining on their own merits. Where most anthologies seem to have at least one story that sucks I can honestly say this is the exception to that rule.

Coop,as he refers to himself in signature,embodies many different stylings here in this collection. There are variations on the horror genre, ranging from creepy to absurd. There are even some fantasy elements here. I don't usually go for that sort of thing at all but this guy is a literary master and I think that even if he managed to hit his head and write a girly novel I would still read it. I will also point out that if you like gross and fucked up shit this guy should be at the top of your TBR pile. I like it when writers get down in the grime but let's face it, a lot of people just pile on the gore for gores sake and often times I feel cheated rather than nauseated. When you enter Coop's world you will see it and hear it, but most of all, you will feel it and even smell it at times.

This guy is the real deal. The fact that the world is overrun with 50,000 shades of shit everywhere you look and he has only released a handful of novellas and stories in all the years he has been writing is a damn shame. If you are not reading those novellas and stories yourself, well.... the world is an imperfect place, my idiotic un-friend.

Pretty much everything Coop has done is gonna require some searching on your part. It's all well worth the effort though because if you are looking to have your mind blown you will not be disappointed. I would say that you can thank me later. But you should be thanking him. Maybe if enough of us thank him he'll put out more stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment